So, we’re one week in.
I’ve made 85th level – took me longer than I expected, but I was messing around with goblin and worgen alts and I wasn’t getting enough rest. For those of you who have not yet plowed to 85, my advice:
- Rest. I didn’t get enough rested XP, and it hurt. If you do nothing else that I tell you, getting enough rest will help you immeasurably.
- Quest. I tried leveling via the Dungeon Finder. Hour-long queues for dungeon runs that disintegrated after the second pull. And you have to go find the dungeon instance entrances anyway. So, unless someone posts a list (multiple links) you’re probably better off questing anyway. Plus, the storylines and lore are invaluable in letting you know just what in Arthas’ name you’re doing.
- Swap out your gear. You will think that your 4T10 BiS ICC 25 Heroic gear will be good until Cataclysm heroics at least, and possibly the first few Cataclysm raids. You will be wrong. Green is the new purple, and the sooner that you realize this the easier it will be on you. I waited too long, and my hit points have more than doubled. And I haven’t gotten any good dungeon gear drops yet. Plus, I think Ramkahen styles look good on me.
- Archaeology. Archaeology gives XP. Good XP. Great XP when rested. Go do Archaeology.
- Learn the instances. If you want to get your tanking practice in on the instances, don’t just queue up and plow in, AoE tanking like mad. All those things you read about how Cataclysm instances are like mini-raids are not Twilight Hammer propaganda. If you try to go in there with a Wrath heroic speed run mindset, they will eat you. Learn the strategies. Oh, and DPS DKs, watch your AoEs. Yes, I mean you, Howling Blast – although Unholy needs to remember that just because diseases don’t break Hungering Cold doesn’t mean that they don’t break other classes’ CC so watch Pestilence and Blood Boil too. If you aren’t absolutely certain the CCd mob is out of range, then use your single target priorities.
This is what I’ve been able to learn so far from a DKs perspective. Oh, trying out an Unholy DW build for my secondary spec to see if it really is all that, and because there’s no way in Icecrown I’m tanking instances.